Commercial Building and Zoning Department
What's New in Zoning...
Have a Permit Question?
Building and Zoning is the first point of contact for developers, property owners, and contractors doing any new construction and renovation work in the Township. Stop into the office or give us a call at 614-982-2190 for questions on how to begin.
We now accept Visa, Mastercard, and Discover for payment of your residential and commercial permits.
If you are paying by credit card, you may submit your application and plans by email and let us know that you will be paying by credit card. We will give you a call when we are processing your application to get your credit card information.
Digital upload available for all permit applications
We are now able to accept applications for all permit applications digitally. You can bring your files in on a flash drive, email them to firstname.lastname@example.org, or upload them to your cloud-based server and email a link to us at email@example.com. Please indicate your method of payment when applying (cash, check, credit card).
We are asking that all Commercial Plan Review and Building Permit applications and specs/plans be submitted digitally.
The Prairie Township Commercial Building & Zoning Department's goals are to serve the residents of Prairie Township and improve their quality of life with the tools provided. The Commercial Building & Zoning Office:
- Administrates and enforces the Township land use laws
- Facilitates the operation of the Townships Commercial Building Department for multi-family structures with four or more units, and all commercial development and construction
- Operates the nuisance abatement program for the Township
Nuisance Process (PDF)
Community Backyards offers reimbursements
to eligible residents up to $50 for installing a rain barrel,
compost bin, or planting native plants and trees.
For more information, please visit
Franklin Soil and Water Conservation District's website
at Community Backyards website or call (614) 486-9613.
Recently there as been an increase
in the rat population in Franklin County.
If you have a rat problem, please report it to
Franklin County Public Health using their Report a Rat
Problem Line at (614) 525-4762. You can also report a problem
to Franklin County Public Health by filling out a web form at:
Payment can be made by cash, check, or credit card.
- Conditional Use Application
- Conditional Use Submittal Requirements
- Garage Sale / Yard Sale Permit
- EU Development Plan Modification App
- MS4 Land Disturbance Regulations
- Open Space (Hunting) Permit
- Open Space Map and Guidelines
- PUD Preliminary Approval Application
- PUD Final Approval Application
- RMH Preliminary Approval Application
- RMH Final Approval Application
- Substantially Similar Use Permit
- Time Extension Application
- Transient Vendor Application and Regulations
- Variance or Appeal Application
- Variance Submittal Requirements
- Zoning Amendment Application
- Zoning Amendment Submittal Requirements
- ZONING PERMIT APPLICATION
- Zoning Fee Schedule
To obtain a Zoning Permit, you will need the following:
- Completed Application
- Diagram of your lot (drawn to scale) showing the new addition(s). Show dimensions and set-backs from all lot lines. If you do not have a diagram, you can print one off of the Franklin County Auditor’s website.
- Application Fee - Payable by cash, check made payable to Prairie Township, or by credit card (Visa, Mastercard, Discover - in office or by phone).
Projects up to 199sqft: $25.00 (including all fences, roofing, siding, windows, etc.); Projects 200sqft or more: $50.00
Submit items 1-3 to the Prairie Township Zoning Department by:
- Bringing it to our Office at 25 Maple Drive, Columbus, Ohio 43228 between the hours of 8:30am and 4:00pm.
- Dropping it off to our Office at 25 Maple Drive. There is a white drop-off bin in front of our door.
- Mailing it to: Prairie Township Zoning Department, 25 Maple Drive, Columbus Ohio 43228
- Emailing it to firstname.lastname@example.org. If applying by email, please indicate how you would like to pay your permit fee. If you would like to pay by credit card, please indicate the number we should call to get credit card information.