Non-Residential or Commercial Zoning Permit Instructions

How To Complete a Non-Residential or Commercial Zoning Permit:

  • Complete the Zoning Permit Application
  • Attach detailed plans (drawn to scale) or all construction or renovations. Include dimensions, height, set-backs, parking spaces, aisles, access, sidewalks, landscaping, and signage. If located within the West Broad Street Corridor Overlay District, structures must meet the standards of Article 18.
  • Application Fee - $350 payable by cash or Check made out to Prairie Township
  • Projects over 1000 sq. ft. must obtain an MS-4 Permit (Land Disturbance). This permit is page 4 of your Zoning Permit Application and requires a $150.00 deposit for disturbances over 1000sqft or a $350.00 deposit for any disturbance over one (1) acre. MS-4 Regulations (Land Disturbance)
  • Drainage Plans are required for all new parking lots or additions to existing parking lots. Engineered stamped drawings are required and must be submitted with the items stated in the Drainage Requirements.
  • New constructions must be reviewed and approved by the Franklin County Sanitary Engineers Utility Compliance Supervisor. Call Gillian Kreager at 614-525-4718 or FCSE 614-525-3940 for contact information.

How to Submit a Residential Zoning Permit:

Please submit your 4 page application (including phone number) marked map, and applicable fee by:

  • Dropping it off to our Administration Office at 23 Maple Drive. There is a bin in the lobby for Permits and Applications. The lobby is open from 8am-4pm Monday-Friday; or
  • Mailing it to: Prairie Township Zoning Department, 25 Maple Drive, Columbus Ohio 43228 
  • A copy of your approved application will be mailed back to you within 5-7 days. If we have any questions we will contact you at the phone number provided on your application.

Additional Information:

  • Parking lots/areas must meet all requirements in Article 11
  • Signage must meet all requirements in Article 12

New or major renovation projects require a pre-construction meeting with staff, Fire Marshal, Service Director, and Chief Building Official. Please contact the Commercial Building and Zoning Department for more information at 614-982-2190.