Building a New Home in a Rural Area

Prior to obtaining a Zoning Permit, you will need to follow several additional steps to build a new home and garage on a parcel without public utilities. Here is a step-by-step guide to get you started.

  1. First you will need to contact either the Prairie Township Road Department (614-878-3316) or the Franklin County Engineers (614-525-6780) for a right-of-way permit for access to the property to put in a driveway. Which department will depend on which department maintains your road.
  2. Contact a Soil Scientist and get a report for on-site systems (well, septic, leach).
  3. Call Franklin County Public Health (614-525-3160) to schedule an on-site inspection. You will need the report from a Soil Scientist for this inspection.
  4. Apply for a Zoning Permit and MS-4 Land Disturbance Permit  from Prairie Township. (614-982-2190)
    • If a Variance, Lot Split, or Floodplain Permit is required, additional permits and processes will be required prior to obtaining a Zoning Permit. 
  5. Apply for a Building Permit from Franklin County Building Department. (614-525-3166)


Please print the applicable Prairie Township Zoning Department Applications: