Prior to obtaining a Zoning Compliance (Permit), you will need to follow several additional steps to build a new home and garage on a parcel without public utilities. Here is a step-by-step guide to get you started.
- First you will need to contact either the Prairie Township Road Department (614-878-3316) or the Franklin County Engineers (614-525-6780) for a right-of-way permit for access to the property to put in a driveway. Which department will depend on which department maintains your road.
- Contact a Soil Scientist and get a report for on-site systems (well, septic, leach). Call our office if you have questions on how to contact a Soil Scientist.
- Call Franklin County Public Health (614-525-3160) to schedule an on-site inspection. You will need the report from a Soil Scientist for this inspection.
- Apply for a Zoning Compliance (Permit) and MS-4 Permit (Land Disturbance) from Prairie Township (614-982-2190).
- Apply for a Building Permit from Franklin County Building Department (614-525-3166).
If a Variance, Lot Split, or Floodplain Permit is required, additional permits and processes will be required.
Please print the applicable Prairie Township Zoning Department Applications: