Building a New Home in a Residential Area

Prior to obtaining a Zoning Permit, you will need to follow the steps below to build a new home and garage on a parcel with public utilities. Here is a step-by-step guide to get you started.

  1. Obtain a detailed drawing showing the dimensions, setbacks and placement of new home with garage and driveway.
  2. Apply for a Zoning Permit and MS-4 Land Disturbance Permit from the Prairie Township Commercial Building and Zoning Department. (614-982-2190)
    • If a Variance, Lot Split, Combination of Lots, or Floodplain Permit is required, additional permits and processes will be required prior to obtaining a Zoning Permit. 
  3. Apply for a building permit from the Franklin County Building Department. A copy of your Zoning Permit is required in order to process your building permit. Franklin County is the agency who will conduct all inspections. (614-525-3166)

Please complete the applicable Prairie Township Zoning Department Applications: